When skaters at the Fort William Figure Skating Club participate in the Junior STARSkate Program, they begin working on levels within the Skate Canada STARSkate program.
Skills, Tests, Achievement, Recognition is what the STARSkate program stands for. The Skate Canada STARSkate program offers opportunities for skaters to develop basic figure skating skills in four different areas with the option of taking Skate Canada Tests while earning awards and incentives designed for this group of skaters. Figure skating skills are taught by a professional coach of the skater’s choice in group and/or private lesson format in the following areas: Interpretive, Dance, Free Skating, and Skating Skills. These disciplines are also divided into Primary, Intermediate and Senior.
The skaters in the Junior STARSkate Program at the Fort William Figure Skating Club are working on their Primary and Intermediate tests. Once passed the Junior Bronze Free Skating Test, the skater is considered an Intermediate.
Benefits of Participating in the STARSkate Program
Skaters enrolled in the STARSkate Program have an opportunity to achieve personal growth and development by participating in a high quality program that teaches the fundamentals of figure skating in a progressive and sequential manner. This program is unique in Canada. In addition to the benefits outlined above, participants in the Skate Canada STARSkate program can receive:
- opportunities to be recognized through a nationally standardized testing system for achieving specific figure skating skills
- complimentary Gold Test pins
- access to invitational and Interclub competitions, including the new national Interclub championship stream
- opportunities to participate in local and provincial competitions
- opportunity to participate in the Club’s annual ice show